The Vanishing Race, Lithograph
Edward Curtis’ most notable image and the fundamental concept for his entire thirty-year project.
Additional Image Information
The Vanishing Race - 1904
“The Vanishing Race” was Curtis’ signature piece and was the visual metaphor for the core conceptual underpinning of Curtis’ entire thirty-year project i.e., that Native Americans, as a culture, at least, were vanishing. It became Curtis’ over-arching goal to create a record of them and their world before they disappeared forever. Curtis searched for an image to illustrate this idea for nearly four years before creating The Vanishing Race. A century ago, it was by far and away Curtis’ most popular single image. Today it still remains a highly sought after classic.
- Produced using Curtis' original glass plate negative
- Six classic, iconic Curtis images
- Unique oversized presentation
- Hand crafted on heavyweight custom-made acid-free paper
- Limited edition with a certificate of authenticity