Chief Joseph of the Nez Perce is still widely considered to be one of the most important and noble tribal leaders of the 19th century. He became close friends with Edward Curtis and this friendship was critical in Curtis’ later success in gaining the trust of numerous other tribes. Joseph’s pride and nobility and the tragedies that he and his people suffered are all evident on his face. After eluding the U.S. Calvary for nearly two years he was finally subdued and there upon uttered his famous words, “I will fight no more forever…” This image is extremely rare as a vintage goldtone and an 11”x14” example sold in 2001 for over $60,000.
- Produced using Curtis’ original glass plate negative
- Beautiful, historic imagery
- Luminosity and three-dimensionality that is unequaled by any other photographic medium
- Edward Curtis’ favorite printing process
- Limited edition with a certificate of authenticity
- Two sizes available in two frame choices
- Framed and ready to hang